Make a Difference
Give Shelter. Give Services. Give an Experience.
Would you like to make a difference in the lives of adults with disabilities? You can do that by making a donation today to BrickWays. You can donate to our general fund or to a particular living center, activity, or area of need. Below is a list of suggested donation areas or you can designate your donation to a particular need that has come to your attention. We and our residents are deeply grateful for all donations!
Our Activity Fund needs a boost
Our activities and experiential learning opportunities continue to expand on an almost daily basis. We're talking museum visits, bike rides, disc golf, Peace Ranch, sewing club, yoga class, drum circle — and more in the works, including a camping trip, beach days and Cherry Festival.
Everyone — staff and residents alike — revels in these activities, which have a huge social aspect as well. We're increasing self-esteem and confidence, promoting independence and reducing isolation. Studies show intellectually disabled people have a smaller involvement in their community and we are rapidly changing that.
We do our best to keep client costs minimal, if anything. Mostly, we absorb any fees to make sure everyone can be involved. But, of course, there are fees and costs and we could use your help.
We need $10,000 to keep our activity fund — and activity fun — going for the rest of the year. We are seeing such positive results from our fitness, creative and community events and we don't want to slow down now!
Help make a Disney dream come true.
We are planning the trip of a lifetime — Disney World! We'll be traveling in May 2019 and to say we're excited is an understatement. So much is going into this trip and people are going to get so much out of it. The learning and experiences that come from a trip of this magnitude are astronomical.
The Activity Fund is vital to the trip, but it’s also not going to cover all the costs. Each traveler will have to pay $1,500, which includes airfare, lodging, food and park admission. (They are then also responsible for their own spending money.) It is a princely sum, we know. We have several fundraisers planned for the coming year, from garage sales to raking leaves to pop can drives and more.
You can help. We are lining up sponsorships for the trip. There are three levels, each with assorted perks. All come with our undying gratitude for making this trip of a lifetime become a reality.
Goofy: $500 provides a third of the cost of one resident’s trip. In return, we’ll put your name or business logo on a T-shirt that the resident will wear during all fundraisers and outings before the trip, then wear at Disney during multiple photo ops.
Minnie: $1,000 provides two-thirds of a trip and comes with the above T- shirt for the resident, plus a framed thank-you note and picture of your sponsee in the T-shirt at a Disney attraction.
Mickey: $1,500 is the full cost of one person’s trip. You’ll get the T-shirt, the framed picture, a monthly Facebook post between now and the trip and your name or logo on all signage related to the Disney trip and its fundraisers. We plan on raising a ruckus about this, so look for your imprint on TV and in local media.
Please let Susan Onan-Swartz know which level you’re able to give at and we’ll take it from there. Thank you in advance for your generosity.
Donations may also be mailed to: BrickWays Foundation 935 Barlow, Traverse City, MI 49686
Housing (Current Needs):
- Community Living Center – Addition of accessible features in the lower level community room including an exterior direct entrance.
- Community Living Apartments – Remodeling of the community recreation room to include carpet, storage and new furniture
- College Park Living Center – Resident computer center
- Kelley Street Living Center – Bathroom tub/shower replacement funding, Tree removal to reduce shade and wear on the roof
- Fern Street Living Center – funding for the replacement and repair of the driveway and parking areas
- NEW! Sandy's Fairway — This unique property is currently in planning and development that will include adults with special needs, and low to moderate income applicants in the same community.
Services (Current Needs):
- Funding for programs to develop social skills including manners and setting boundaries
Experiences (Current Needs):
- Activity Fund to support client participation in events in and around Traverse City
- Disney Trip 2019 - Designed to give an unforgettable experience! Most participants will never have a chance to make this trip in their lifetime without your help.
Some of the residents planning to go to DisneyWorld told the gathering at our Beer Pairing Dinner about why they want to go.